Sunday, June 7, 2015

Kingsroad - Custom Macramé & Braids Fringe

So, you've crochetted your Kingsroad and want the fringes of your stole/scarf to look like this:


Then read on and (re)discover the joy of knotting :p

Ideally, to work the macramé and braids fringe you should have a number of strands that's a multiple of 12 (since you need a mulitiple of both 4 (for the macramé) and 3 (for the braids)).
Of course, counting strands can be tedious, especially across a wide stole on which you have already spent many hours of your time. A stole that you're eager to wear. A stole that you may or may not have had enough of (hello, supersized stole lovers ;p). I know I couldn't be bothered to count strands at that point. Call me lazy - I am. So I took the easy route.
I didn't count. And when I ended up with 5 strands for the last square knot, I worked the excess strand together with another. Same goes for the last braid. As long as your yarn is not too thick, this won't be noticeable.

Here's how to work a basic square knot in macramé:


To make a square knot, you need 4 strands of yarn (those are called cords in actual macramé projects).
B and C are your core cords: they will not 'move' as you make this knot.

Step 1: Pass A over B and C and under D.

Step 2: Bring D under C and B and over A through the loop that A forms with B.

Step 3: Pass A over C and B and under D.

Step 4: Bring D under B and C and over A through the loop that A forms with C.


Lastly pull on cords A and D to tighten the knot.


Now, the actual fringe 'how-to':

Work square knots across the whole fringe (that's row 1).
Then work alternating square knots for Row 2 & 3


On Row 2, D and A become your core cords. Your working cords are now C and B.
Work Row 3 the same way you did row 1.

After these three rows of macramé, braid the strands together.

Once you're done knotting and braiding, you'll probably want to block the macramé section to open up the net-like fabric.



You should end up with something like this (note that I wore this stole all winter, meaning that more than six months have passed between the above and the below picture - the macramé still looks pretty good, I think ^^)

Don't hesitate to trim the ends after you' re done. I had planned to do so, but I actually liked the 'raggedy' look of the braids (see picture above - these do look better in the 'flesh', I assure you).

And... that's all there is to it. Happy knotting!

No comments:

Post a Comment